Chemical Detox Tips: 10 Toxic Products in Your Home
These common products are poisoning you. Here are easy, healthy alternatives.
Getting rid of fragrance products may be a large feat for some, but it’s totally worth the benefits!
Fragrance products are probably the most prevalent toxin in your home, including perfume, dryer sheets, candles, hairspray, lotion, sunscreen, powder, air freshener, candles, disinfectant, and the like.
Chemicals in these products can cause an array of increased health risks such as breast cancer and asthma because they are carcinogens and disruptors of the body’s endocrine and reproductive systems.
“A rose may be a rose,” reports EWG. “But that rose-like fragrance in your perfume may be something else entirely, concocted from any number of the fragrance industry’s 3,100 stock chemical ingredients, the blend of which is almost always kept hidden from the consumer.”
Chemical Detox Tip:
Purchase unscented products when possible. Use 100% Organic Essential Oils in a diffuser/vaporizer to add fragrance to your home (but be careful if you have pets — like artificial fragrances, many essential oils are highly toxic to animals).
Avoid perfume, but if you must wear perfume, spray a minimal amount of it onto your clothing, not your skin, and try not to breathe it in. Or, better yet, but one that’s natural and uses essential oils, like this one from Pacifica.
*sigh* I’m guilty of having a good basketful of these toxic products you said we all should AVOID!
Interesting article! Sadly, our sheets, pillows, mattresses and blankets are full of chemicals and flame retardants that can interfere with our health.
Baking soda has “magic.” It cleans, deodorizes, and scours.
Chemical detox of home takes time and patience. Thanks for the tips!
I inhale and exhale toxic chemicals even in my own home 🙁
Oh no! I’m surrounded by awful synthetic chemicals everyday!!!! BAD!
Such an eye opener! I did not realize how much I’m surrounded by toxins on a daily basis!
Thanks for this informative article.
Simple ways like keeping my bathroom fan on for 15 minutes after showering help.
Nice one! This reduces condensation, limiting the risk of mold growth.
If I have new furniture, I let them “off-gas” for one week in the garage before bringing it into the house. Can you imagine that even “carpets” can have VOCs?